Sunday, November 19, 2006

Getting There

We shall have seven for Thanksgiving. Mr. Beagle was considering inviting more people, including some vegetarians, but thought better of it. It should be a nice, chill Thanksgiving.

Revised Thanksgiving Menu:

Deconstructed Turkey with Corn Bread Stuffing
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Cranberry-Apple Sauce
Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
Roasted Vegetables
Greens with Pecans and Goat Cheese

Apple Pie
Rhubarb-Apple Pie
Chocolate Caramel Walnut Tart

It was suggested on Chowhound that you may be able to keep mashed potatoes warm in a Crockpot. Interesting idea. Mr. Beagle decided that a test was in order, so he made mashed potatoes mid-afternoon which we will have with supper.

Oh, how could I forget: I picked up some new serving dishes last weekend at Crate and Barrel. I’ve been coveting these since last Thanksgiving. They seem impractical, but the swoopey sides function as handles. I also picked up a couple of small white bowls. Since we’ll only have seven people total, I’ll be able to use my white plates only and everyone will fit at one table! No buffet to set up! No furniture to move!


Last, some actual (as opposed to theoretical) food: homemade banana bread* with lots and lots of streusel. Mr. Beagle has a tendency to abandon bananas as soon as the last tinge of green goes to yellow, and I hate bananas. Quite a few steadily blackening bananas were building up and I just couldn’t let them all get composted. So, one mini loaf for a not-feeling-well Mr. Beagle and two to take to work for the kids. There hasn’t been much baking going on a the Beagle household of late, and I had forgotten how good a house could smell. Mr. Beagle could barely wait for his bread to cool off a little before scarfing.


*From the Joy of Cooking recipe. I would have used the marvelous King Arthur Flower Baker’s Companion, but their recipe called for yogurt or sour cream.

No comments: