It’s the first finished object of 2007. It’s Rogue, also known as The Unphotographical Sweater. Yes, it is well into March. Yes, sweaters take me a while, but in all fairness, the knitting has been done for a couple of weeks.
Pattern: Rogue from the Girl from Auntie
Begun: 12/26/06 Finished: 3/10/07
Size: 39”, but blocked a touch bigger
Yarn: Knitpicks' Wool of the Andes (what a bargain) in Chocolate, 11 skeins
Needles: Size 8 (circular and dpn for body and sleeves), Size 5 (circular and dpn for hem facing)
Mods: Knit the sleeves in the round (looking back, I should have eliminated a couple of stitches to compensate for the non-seaming). Knit in the bottom and sleeve hems instead of sewing down the hem at the end. Did a little short-row mod on the hood. Screwed up on the arm shaping on the back. Skipped the kangaroo pocket, and it’s a good thing since there I only had half a skein left at the end.
Thoughts: Rogue is a very nicely written pattern. I do wish that I’d found and red the faq on The Girl from Auntie site for a couple of tips before I did the bulk of my knitting. The only problems I had were the above mentioned back shaping and the hood finishing. After the adventures with cable grafting (which was not all that bad in hindsight), I did have some problems attaching the hood to the cable panel. Even after adding some extra decreases and short rows and blocking, the hood is a little wonky. But, as it will generally just lie on my back, I can live with it.
The sleeves knit up very nicely on dpns in the round. The cable charts are crystal clear (particularly after you read the faq), and would not be unreasonable for a cable beginner. The cable shaping on the sides is very clever and unexpected and gives a nice little bit of shaping to an otherwise boxy sweater. The real rave I have is for how well the sleeves fit into the armholes- perfectly. It was almost a pleasure to sew together. Almost.
Okay, back to clapotis. And maybe those socks that I still haven’t started.