Thursday, July 29, 2010

I Finished Something.

And I photographed it. And I'm writing about it here. Amazing!

Tools
Sewing Scissors meet Hammer, Hammer, Sewing Scissors.

I've been looking for a new dining set for quite some time now. Since my budget is essentially the contents of the change jar, there's no way I can buy new (if there was, I'd go for this and maybe eight of these and then die of money hemorrhage). And, really, I'd love something authentically mid-century.

I've been cruising Craigslist for months, but 1. I'm looking for a looong, skinny table to fit our long, skinny dining area and 2. I live in the midwest where everyone was too busy ice fishing to buy awesome furniture during the 50's and 60's. So... I haven't found my dream table and chairs.

Then I saw Meg's lovely dining room and realized that mismatched chairs don't have to be all shabby chic- they can be modern and spare and awesome. So, a visit to the local university surplus store netted us three of these to start with:

Chair Before
Yes, our garage is that organized. And periwinkle.

Some wood glue, new screws, foam, batting, really cool reclaimed Knoll fabric, and one zillion staples and:

Chair After
Chair now lives in a magical hydrangea forest.

Now I just have to finish the other two chairs, reupholster the chairs I bought a couple years ago to match and find the perfect long skinny mid-century table.

But, hey, I finished this one thing. Hooray!

Chair After

No comments: