Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Sprung

Spring?

It's positively springy around here these days. Even after living most of my life here in Wisconsin, I'm always a little amazed by a new season. I get used to winter and all at once- boom!- the snow melts and bulbs are coming up. Surprises me every year. I'm especially tickled that about these bulbs despite not remembering what they are, since I was sure that the squirrels had dug up everything I planted last fall. Apparently not.

I'm currently wrestling with the choice of whether or not to join a CSA this year. I love the idea of a CSA, but don't quite know if it's the way to go for us. Last time we joined one, I struggled with the selection and quantities (one little head of broccoli and four pounds of beets). I'm leaning toward committing to hit at least one farmer's market a week instead. Gotta make up my mind soon though.

Spice Cupboard
No silly little spice rack for me. An entire full-sized cabinet is devoted to spices, salt, and chilies.

Menu for the week of March 7th

Sunday: Prosciutto-Wrapped Pork with Sweet Potatoes and Pears *New Recipe*
Really good and very easy. Made it with a pork loin I had in the freezer.

Monday: Miso Soup, Edamame *New Recipe*
Close but not quite vegetarian: I made my own dashi with bonito.

Tuesday: Sweet-Scented Hyderabad Ground Lamb and Curried Lentils with Rice
From Dance of the Spices. Made with ground beef instead of lamb. We call this "Indian beef" or "Indian sloppy joes" and it's a favorite in our house. I usually triple the recipe and freeze the extra portions, as I did this time.

Wednesday: Delivery Pizza

Thursday: Pasta with Bolognese, Sauteed String Beans
Supposed to have been a vegetarian pasta, but my dad came down for a visit and I switched it up for something a little more Grandpa-friendly.

Friday: Scrambled Eggs with Gruyere, Toast, Smoothies

So... not a very good week with my vegetarian meals, but this week I've already got two in the bag.

Menu for the week of March 14th:

Sunday: Chipotle Chicken and Rice, Sauteed Sweet Corn

Monday: Zucchini, Sun Dried Tomato, and Gruyere Fritata, Toast

Tuesday: Spinach and Tofu Curry, Brown Rice

Wednesday: Papi-made Pizza Night!

Thursday: Pasta with Mozzerella, Olives, Capers, and Pine Nuts with Sauteed Mushrooms and String Beans

Friday [I'm going out with the girls; the boys will have]: Burgers, Sweet Potato Fries, Sauteed Cabbage

Cumin Refill
I love Penzeys (no apostrophe). Especially their bulk spices.



No comments: