Thursday, March 04, 2010

Haba Bear Helps

Haba Bear

This week Haba Bear supervised the making of breadcrumbs. Breadcrumbs, like tomato sauce, are something I always like to have on hand, so I make them a loaf at a time and freeze. It's not that they are at all difficult or time consuming to make, but I don't always keep white bread around and hate to drag out the food processor for just a handful of crumbs.

Bread Crumbs

Yes, my food processor is from approximately 1983. It was my mom's. She never used it. It works just fine. It moved in with me while I was in college and has stuck around. It's lasted me through two blenders and four coffee grinders.

Anyway, breadcrumbs. This week I needed them for mac and cheese, but we love using them all the time around here. They are my go-to thickening agent for rustic sauces, and toasted with a little bit of butter and salt, they make steamed broccoli taste downright naughty.

Speaking of naughty, we were traveling all last week and ate all manner of delicious things, very few of which were vegetarian. But, this week we're back on track:

Menu for the week of February 28th

Sunday: Spinach Salad with Flank Steak and Bread

Monday: Macaroni and Cheese with Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts
I've been using America's Test Kitchen's stove top mac and cheese recipe lately with good results. You don't run the risk of getting the oily separation that sometimes happens with a mornay sauce mac and cheese.

Tuesday: Warm Cous-Cous Salad and Roasted Acorn Squash

Wednesday: French Toast Casserole with Sauteed Apples and Raisins
Really just a plain bread pudding that we often top with maple syrup, but tonight topped with the apple sautee.

Thursday: Pasta with Proscuitto and Peas and Sauteed Spinich

Friday: Minestrone and Cheddar Scones *New Recipes*
Last time I fed my husband a vegetable based soup, he complained about it not being filling enough, so I'm hoping the cheesy scones will placate him this time.

No comments: