Wednesday, April 14, 2010

The Turkey Sandwich Incident

I can remember the first time I had mayonnaise. I was a teenager having a rare non-fast food lunch with an older and cooler friend. I had grown up eating (and detesting) Miracle Whip, so when my sandwich arrived slathered in mayo, I was disappointed. Scraping the offending sauce off would have been much too uncool to do in front of my dining companion. I sucked it up, took a bite, and realized that mayonnaise is delicious. I don't think I've touched anything but the real deal since.

Cut to last weekend when I was fixing myself a sandwich at my in-law's house. Bread, turkey, swiss, and, what the heck, some Miracle Whip (there was no mayo on the premises). Oh man, that sandwich was hard to choke down. The bread: sweet. The turkey: honey roasted. The cheese: just fine- this is Wisconsin after all. The Miracle Whip: like fluffy cake frosting. I think I've had more savory s'mores. Miracle Whip: still vile after all these years.

Menu for the Week of April 11th

Sunday: Chipotle-Glazed Shrimp, Brown Rice, Peas
An old favorite.

Monday: Crispy Rice with Mushrooms and Carrots, Broccoli
From April's Everyday Food. We had it a couple weeks ago and really liked it. It seems like an Americanized version of a clay pot bibimbap.

Tuesday: Jamaican Chicken Curry *New Recipe*, Rice
Couldn't find Jamaican curry powder, but finally realized that my spice cupboard is pretty stocked and that I could manage to make one on my own.

Wednesday: Pizza with Mozzerella, Tomatoes, and Proscuitto, Salad with Gorgonzola, Pine Nuts, and Cranberries

Thursday: Pasta with Spinach and Ricotta, Salad with Gorgonzola, Pine Nuts, and Cranberries

Friday: Blueberry Pancakes, Smoothies
Breakfast for dinner...mmm

Saturday: First outdoor farmer's market of the season and dinner with friends!

No comments: