After querying the folk of Craftster, the grape overdye was the clear winner for Granny's Clapotis. The suggestions tallied up thus:
So, C2 took a dunking with four packets of grape Kool-Aid. Upon rinsing and laying out for blocking, I found this:
Actually, I didn't freak out. I contemplated the hole calmly, let C2 block over night and darned the hole up this morning. The fix is not perfect, but it's not too noticeable. I'm kind of wondering if the yarn was weakened by the repeated applications of Kool-Aid I subjected it to. I hope it doesn't fall apart after Mr. Beagle's grandmother receives it.
The overdye is significantly lighter than the swatch, it almost looks like a grey wash, but I think it turned out nicely. The overdye really tones down the original contrast. Mr. Beagle has given it his approval, so my Christmas knitting is done. Heh.
My project notes, apart from all of this dyeing nonsense, are basically the same as the first Clapotis, so I'll not bother writing it up.