Monday, January 18, 2010

FoodFoodFood

Peanut Butter Cookies

Ah, my New Year's challenges. Challenge sounds better than resolution, doesn't it? Like, it's okay if you fail, since it's challenging.

Right. I usually don't really make resolutions. I was certainly busy enough last New Year's with a 20-hour old baby. This year, well, this year I'm up for a challenge. Or three:

1. Eat less sugar. Remember that root beer is a treat, not a beverage. (Strangely enough baking is not at odds with this plan. For some reason I'm able to limit myself to, say, one peanut butter cookie per day.)

2. Try one new recipe a week (I have over 30 cookbooks- that number seems less ridiculous if I actually cook from them) and record the successes in my recipe spreadsheet so that I remember to make them again. Yes, I have a recipe spreadsheet. Shut up.

3. Make at least three vegetarian suppers per week. This is the big one. We like meat in our house. Fortunately, we also like tofu and a good veggie curry. Although we regularly eat a couple of vegetarian meals and many meat-light ones, I want to cultivate a better repertoire of meatless meals.


Menu for the week of January 17th

Sunday: Carnitas Tacos, Pinto Beans, Fixings

Beans!

My husband surprised me by rendering some lard so that I could do the beans proper like. So, so, so good. Oh and the carnitas... porkalicious.

Monday: Spinach, Goat Cheese and Oven Roasted Tomato Frittata

Tuesday: Leftover Carnitas Enchiladas

Wednesday: Pizza with Artichokes, Olives, and Oven Roasted Tomatoes, Salad

Thursday: Pasta Bolognese*, Salad

Friday: Broccoli Pad Thai *New Recipe*

*I make bolognese sauce by the vat and freeze it in portions.

1 comment:

meg said...

may I suggest checking out Peter Berley's cookbooks. The Flexitarian Table is the best, I think. He's mostly a vegetarian cook, but doesn't really cook like a vegetarian. We try to eat vegetarian or vegan meals at least 3 times a week. He's helped me make them super delicious.